There is no better way to enjoy Mardi Gras in New Orleans than by participating in one of the parades. And there is no better parade than the Krewe of Choctaw.
We host wonderful events all year long leading up to the grand finale which is our traditional street parade that takes place on the first Saturday of parade season and travels along the Uptown Route beginning at 2pm.
Of course there is a lot to think about when considering joining a Mardi Gras Krewe, so we have put together a list of questions that we hear from almost all new members.
We hope this is helpful and that you choose to join us in our quest to spread the spirit of Mardi Gras to everyone.
- Can children ride and if so, do they get a reduced price?
- Absolutely children can ride! We are a family oriented organization and encourage entire families to join together and participate in our many family friendly events throughout the year.
- Due to safety precautions and laws regulating many of our events, children do not get a discounted price. We promise not to compromise the space or safety equipment provided for your child in order to cut costs.
- Do we have to buy the harness from Choctaw?
- Yes, float riders must purchase their safety harness from Choctaw. This is to ensure the reliability and functionality of the harness which is one of the single most important pieces of equipment when it comes to a fun and safe parade day.
- Where and when do we load our floats?
- Our Board of Directors does its absolute best to provide access to the floats the night before the parade. However, the floats are sometimes used by the builder in other parades the night before and therefore must be loaded the morning of. This creates the opportunity for a pre-parade gathering that is a party in itself!
- What is Choctaw Day?
- Choctaw Day is one of our biggest and most anticipated events of the season. It takes place on Sunday just a couple of weeks before the parade and is where you are able to pick up specialty items that you have ordered such as tomahawks, cups and doubloons. You also have the chance to purchase last minute items, discuss details of parade day, get your costume, and enjoy the best spaghetti dinner in town.
- I live out of town, can I get my float loaded by someone?
- Definitely! If you order your beads through TJs Carnival Supply, they are more than happy to load them for you. You just need to show up and start throwing!
- Are there any fees in addition to dues and what do the fees cover?
- Of course there are, it’s the way of the world. There is a fee collected near parade day which will cover the cost of having your face painted for the ride, a pre-parade party including refreshments and bus transportation to and from the party location where your vehicle can be parked.
- How do we get transported to and from the parade route?
- The morning of the parade we will all meet to have refreshments, get our faces painted and hear words of wisdom from our Mighty Chief Choctaw. Buses will be chartered to take us from this event straight to our floats and will be waiting for us at the end of our amazing ride along the Uptown Parade Route.